Monday, December 28, 2009

Eat Your Trees

I can't remember where I heard this phase, though it was probably a line in a movie. A mother or babysitter had recited this to a little girl who didn't want to eat her broccoli. I found the line amusing. Like the little girl I don't always want to eat my trees...so I usually juice them when possible.

My new year's resolution list is not yet complete but a high priority is, as was last year, to eat more fruits and veggies. This year I will focus on more green additions. Since I have this week off from work I am planning to get on the right track before the new year. Here's what I worked on today:



5 kale leaves
1 pack of celery stalks
2 cucumbers
1 red apple
1 green apple
2 small punches of parsley
1 lemon
3 handfuls of baby carrots

In just 15 minutes I made 42 oz of moderately yummy but majorly good-for-you green juices, cleaned the juicer, and more than covered the 7 fruits/veggies a day recommendation. Hot damn, that's efficient! And productive. And healthy. Yay!

P.S. Here's what the juicer left behind. This would have taken all day to chew!

4 comments:

Olivia said...

Oh how you make me miss my juicer! That looks like some awesome green goodness there. Can't wait until we can share one. :-)

Olivia said...

OK, I just revisited this post and I am drooling over your juices even more. Looks delish!

Susan said...

Can you cook with the leftovers? I wonder if there are recipes...

Jen said...

There are definitely recipes out there for utilizing all the pulp. I blend a lot of things together and don't know how yummy a recipe like that would be. Some people have made carrot cake with leftovers. Cucumber, carrot, kale bread anyone?