Wednesday, February 3, 2010

D Minus

I recently had some routine bloodwork ordered and was shocked to learn how low my Vitamin D levels were. They were WAY out of range, almost as low as they can go. I went in thinking my test results, particularly my cholesterol, would be great and I'd get a lollipop or something :P. Over the course of three weeks I had been steadfast with diet and exercise and I was expecting an equally impressive blood test result. Turns out the doctor forgot to check for cholesterol but ordered a Vitamin D screening, unbeknownst to me. But I sure am glad she ordered it!

While vitamin D is normally associated with the role of building healthy bones, research shows that it is also a key factor in balancing hormones and maintaining a healthy immune system. A vitamin D deficiency situated within the context of my other health issues may just mean my doctor found the missing link.

So what's next? Supplements and sunshine! I won't post the daily doses I'm taking on HHJ. They are quite high and only to be ingested at such levels when under medical supervision. I'll be able to tell if it's working in about one month when I get more bloodwork. Fingers are crossed for a D+!

For more information about vitamin D, it's role in health, and whether or not testing might be right for you, check out this article from Women to Women.

No comments: