Monday, May 31, 2010

Macro Monday ~ Blanched Vegetables

Every Monday I'm trying a new macrobiotic recipe and posting the results at HHJ. I'm looking to incorporate macrobiotics into my dietary plan but am not sure if I'll go 100% with it. I've definitely felt better since adding macro dishes to my plate so we'll see where it leads...

Last Monday I checked out a recipe using burdock root and kept it even simpler this week with blanched vegetables.

Blanching is a great way to enjoy your veggies; this technique keeps them crisp and tender at the same time, providing a perfect balance in texture. I find them easier to digest this way too, although this result will likely vary from person to person.

Take your favorite veggies (I used cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas and carrots) and immerse them in a pot of boiling water. Remove after one minute and transfer them to a bowl of ice water, letting them sit for another minute. Strain and enjoy!

I eat blanched vegetables without a dressing but you can experiment with seasonings or sauces if you need a little something something. Black pepper, olive oil and lemon is a refreshing concoction to add to veggies and salads.

Interested in exploring macrobiotics? Click here for a cliff notes version to get you started

No comments: