Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Makin' Sweet Love


It's been a while since I've cooked a meal. My side of the fridge had been empty for months. I used to have a weekly ritual of shopping at Whole Foods, filling the cart with a rainbow of colors from the produce aisle, and prepping food for a week's worth of cooking. I took a very long break and got lazy. I ate out a lot. I enjoyed it. And I feel a little guilty about that. I have also been overcoming the guilt that comes with daily Starbuck's stops by rationalizing "it's the holiday season" and "I haven't yet bought a coffee maker" and "the coffee at work can't compare to the delectable starbuck's white peppermint mochas." I can last on one all day. Bad. Yum. Sinful. Sold!

As we approach the New Year, I should start practicing what I preach. I resolve to eat my veggies, go green with juice, consume whole foods, and prepare my own meals. And...lighten up on Starbuck's.

Even though it's a lot more work and it's not always as exciting as eating out, thinking of daily cooking and food preparation as a form of self-love is motivating. It's healthier (usually) and tastier (usually). It fosters a closer relationship within the food chain and usually yields more knowledge of what it is you are actually consuming (sans additives, pesticides...)! It also allows for a creative side to emerge! Even the Dalai Lama advocates it in his Instructions for Life: "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon."

Do it with the lights on. Use music to get you in the mood. Buddy up and do it with someone!

Chopping. Stewing. Juicing. Blending. Smelling. Tasting. Touching. It's time to get to know your food!

Recipe for Love Soup:
(Measurements are of your discretion)
* Chop onions and garlic; sautee in olive oil
* Add vegetable stock (low sodium) and a small can of tomato paste
* Mix until the tomato paste disolves then add a can of canned tomatoes (diced)
* Add 1-2 bay leaves and basil
* Mix. Simmer.
* Add chopped celery and carrots. Mix. Simmer.
* Add cannelini beans and let the stew stew.
* Add pasta.
* Feel the love!